Aloo ..... meri jaan

I have never been able to understand the fixation of Indian moms of last generation with the Aloo.
The amazement started with visit to my in laws just after marriage. A huge...like huge can was filled with fried aloo  papads... I wondered why she needed so much with just two of them staying. The entrepreneur in me said.. She would be selling these.. good business..
The next day she fried them...them all..and kept them in front of my lazy husband.....
I was in the " so much calorie??" phase... my jaw dropped to see him.. munch away the papads one after the other...crunch crunch crunch...there goes another one.. before the plate finished it was dutifully replenished by my mil... who had that satisfying look...mere bachhe  ne kuch  khaya...

Before the afternoon seista  with the aloo  papads  finished... I could hear my mil  discuss... aaj  aloo  paratha  banega....next day morning.. it was aloo  poha, lunch was aloo matar, aloo gobhi...and so on

No vegetable was left alone... it was as if they had got married to aloo...i had got married to aloo..

My husband was served the aloo peices more.. and if by mistake the worse half (veggie) landed  on his plate it would be left  behind looking for acceptance.

Most of the time the realisation starts from your in laws place, while it had been happening all the while at the place you grew up too.

I reached my moms place next ...
The plate was served, the only difference here was the veggies were not married they were living together as room mates.. there were two separate Sabzis... a green and an aloo...

I overheard my aunt say, my boy doesn't eat this veggie, give him aloo...my cousin... a 30 year old boy..

The aloo was indispensable.It was a way of life. It was a feeling of satisfaction.

Today I am a mom of a 6 year old... I step into a restaurant and the waitress asks.. should I bring him a bowl of French fries....??

Hamesha  rahega  samose mein aloo.....

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A BOY AGAIN!!

Ten simple games for kids